Unfiled Tax Return on the April 17th Deadline?

Today is April 17th, the official day to file your United States 1040 Tax Return. Have you? Have you filed at least filed an extension to file your tax return? If the answer is "no" to both of these, I just have to ask why. And, let me clarify, I'm not asking this in any sort of judgmental way. I'm asking this so that you'll ask yourself. I talk to people with huge IRS problems every day and I noticed many similarities in their stories. The biggest trend I've seen is tax returns went unfiled.

If you need more time to file, sending in a one-page 1040X before the April 17th deadline gives you six more months. If you haven't done that, something else is holding you back...and maybe you should dig down deep to figure out what that is. Are you afraid you're going to owe taxes you can't afford to pay back? There are solutions to that. Are you afraid that filing will put you on the IRS radar? Don't be. Quite honestly, there are plenty of other ways the IRS can find you if they want. And, there's no one they want to track down more than a non-filer.



Do yourself a favor and get to filing your 1040 tax return now. It truly is better late than never, when non-filing penalties aren't just a possibility but a certainty. If you owe more than you can pay with your return, there are many different payment options and IRS programs out there to help you. Of course, if you owe $10,000 or more, I highly recommend that you hire a reputable tax professional to make sure that you are placed in the best possible situation.

Labels: ,