How to File Your Amended Tax Return

Don't panic when you discover a mistake after your tax return has already been filed. You have the opportunity to correct it by filing an amended tax return.

The IRS May Have Done the Corrections FOR You:

The IRS service center automatically corrects math errors on your tax returns, and may even accept your return if you've left out required forms and schedules. Don't amend your return in these instances.

 How to Amend Your Tax Return:

You'll use IRS Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to correct your previously filed Form 1040, Form 1040A, Form 1040EZ, Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EX forms.

If You Are Filing to Claim an Additional Refund...

The IRS wants you to wait until after you've received your original refund. They say you can go ahead and cash the check.

If You Owe Additional Taxes for the Year...

You need to file Form 1040X and pay that tax before the deadline, April 15th. Form 1040X's instructions includes a list of IRS service center addresses where you can drop off the amended return.

Using IRS Form 1040X to File an Amended Tax Return: 5 Easy Steps

1. File a separate Form 1040X for each tax year you amend, and mail them in their own envelopes. Don't forget to write the year being amended on the form.

2. File Form 1040X within 3 years of the date of your original return, or 2 years of the date you paid the tax. The sooner, the better.

3. Attach copies of forms or schedules being changed to Form 1040X, including any W-2s received when you filed the original return.

4. An amended return can't be e-filed, but you can get the tax form on or by calling 800-829-1040.

5. It normally takes the IRS 8 to 12 weeks to process your amended tax return, so be patient.

Work now to correct any mistakes you may have made on your tax filings this year. The sooner you get to work and fix it, the sooner you can receive your tax refund or feel at protect from aggressive IRS actions.

Labels: ,