Where's My Refund? The Hitman Has the Answers

Filed on time? If you're one of the 80% of Americans that file on time, you're already ahead of the game. But now you're haunted by lingering regret. You're asking yourself, "Did I sign it...did I take advantage of the right deductions...did I write my name in wrong...where's my return...what should do?" Don't fuss, the IRS won't throw you in prison over an honest mistake.

Where's my Refund?
You want your money and you want it now. Don't worry, you can actually go online to check on the status of your 2008 refund. You can do this 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, which is usually 3 to 4 weeks after you mail a paper return.

In order to check on your return status you need your filing status, the first SSN shown on the return, and the exact whole-dollar amount of the refund.

Three Options for Checking on your Tax Return Status:
• Go to IRS.gov, and click on “Where’s My Refund.” Accessible here for now.
• Call 1-800-829-1954 during the hours shown in your form instructions.
• Call 1-800-829-4477 (24 hours) for automated refund information.

Quick Warning, Phishing Scams: The time is ripe for scammers to fool the unsuspecting. If you receive an e-mail from the "IRS" asking for personal information in exchange for your tax refund or information on it's status, that is NOT an e-mail from the IRS. Never give your personal information by e-mail.

HELP, I Made a Mistake!
Small blunders on your Tax return may delay your refund or result in IRS notices coming in your mail. But don't stress out, you can file an Amended Return. Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.