What Happens AFTER You File Your Taxes?

It's been nearly two weeks since the tax filing deadline, and many that filed on time are anxious. Maybe you're waiting on your return, or maybe you've made a few mistakes that you need to fix. This quick guide will let you know what to expect AFTER you file your taxes and answer some frequently asked Post-Tax-Filing Questions.

Where's My Tax Refund?

It's easy to check on the status of your refund, you can do this by phone or online 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or 3 to 4 weeks after you send a paper return in the mail. Keep a copy of your 2009 tax return handy, you'll need to know your filing status, SSI number, and the exact amount of the refund. Use the following options to check on your refund status:

- Go to IRS.gov, and click on "Where's My Refund"

- Call 1-800-829-4477 24 hours a day, seven days a week for automated refund information

- Call 1-800-829-1954 during the hours shown in your tax form instructions

What Records Should I Keep?

Most recommend you keep tax records for three years. Some documents, like records relating to stock transactions, home sales or purchase, IRAs, and business and rental property should be kept longer than three years.

I recommend keeping copies of filed tax returns as part of your records. You may need to them help file an amended return or file future returns. Worst case scenario, you may need them in the event of an audit.

What if I moved after I filed?

If you move after you filed your return, you should send Form 8822, Change of Address to the IRS. If you are expecting a refund through the mail, you should also file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service.

What If I Made a Mistake?

Errors may delay your refund and could even result in IRS notices coming to you. If you realize an errors you can correct your return by filing an amended return using Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

If you have more tax questions, you can always send them to me at irs-hitman@taxdefensenetwork.com.