Amending a Tax Return that Was Filed Incorrectly to Reduce Tax Debt

Mistakes Happen: The IRS encounters thousands annually. The IRS’s complicated Tax Laws are overwhelming for the average Taxpayer. Every Tax season something is bound to go wrong. In light of all the errors that inevitably occur, the IRS has created ways for Taxpayers to Amend Tax Returns that were Filed Incorrectly.

The IRS usually corrects math errors on Tax Returns. In addition to that, they usually request forms that are missing when they process original returns. If the IRS has done this bit of work on your behalf, it will not be necessary to file an Amended Tax Return. However, there are a few instances when filing an Amended Tax Return is necessary. If any of the following was reported incorrectly, you should file an Amended Return:

• Your filing status
• Your dependents
• Your total income
• Your deductions or credits

Steps to Take for Filing an Amended Tax Return:

1. Use Form 1040X, “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.” You can use this to correct previously filed Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040 EZ

2. Write the year of the Return you are Amending at the top of Form 1040X. You cannot use one Form 1040X to correct two tax returns. You must prepare a separate 1040X form for each Tax Return. You must also mail them in separate envelopes.

3. Mail the envelope containing the Amended Tax Form to your area’s IRS processing center. The Form 1040X instructions list the addresses for your area’s IRS processing center.

As long as you act swiftly you can still receive your Tax Return. However, making sure you fill out all of the correct columns of Form 1040X can be a bit tricky. If you are not sure about the details of your Tax Situation or you’re unsure of some specific Tax Laws, consider contacting a professional to help you with this step of the process.