Even the IRS Makes Mistakes- What to do When You Don’t Owe the Assessed Taxes

I’m INNOCENT, I tell ya! Is the IRS banging your door down, and sending threatening letters when you know you don’t owe? You’re not alone. I talk with dozens of people daily that believe they don’t owe the IRS.

The Straight Answer: From my personal experience, only 2% of taxpayers who claim they don’t owe actually have a case against the IRS. If you want to stand a chance, get out your pen and paper and take some notes.

The Top 3 Relief Plans When You Know Don't Owe

Innocent Spouse: If your spouse is to blame for your debt, you can try to move the blame to them. This will work in some cases, but there’s a strict set of rules that must be adhered to. For example, if you signed the tax return with your name on it, you’re responsible for that debt. Even if you didn’t access it! So make sure you read the returns before you sign them.

Equitable Relief: If the client does not qualify for innocent spouse relief, the IRS will look to see what other equitable relief the taxpayer may qualify for. It’s hard to qualify for equitable relief, but the following two factors can weight in your favor:

-Whether your spouse (or former spouse) abused you
-Whether you were in poor mental health on the date you signed the return (or at the time you requested relief.)

Amended Tax Return: An Amended Tax Return can be used to prove the validity of a Tax Debt. For example, if you need to prove your tax deductions are justified, you might file an Amended Tax Return with documentation attached to prove your innocence. You’ll need your original tax return to file an amended one, because the IRS won’t always have it on file.

Proving your innocence: It’s incredibly difficult to prove you’re innocent of the tax charges accessed against you at any point during the collections process. The IRS is rarely wrong about these things, but it’s possible that you’re one of the few that slipped through the cracks. If you need to prove you’re innocent, I highly recommend working with a tax relief company or reputable tax attorney.

Labels: ,