Top Tax Time Questions, What Happens After You File?

Got Questions? You did your job and filed on time. But now you have all kinds of questions. Instead of going directly to the IRS with your inquiries (and waiting forever for a response), read your answers here.

Can I receive my refund if I'm in a payment plan with the IRS for prior years?

The refund will be applied to the amount you owe. The IRS advises you to make your payment by the due date regardless, because the refund will not be considered a substitute for your payment.

How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?

According to the IRS, if you owed additional tax for the prior tax year, you may have to make estimated tax payments for the current tax year.

You must make estimated tax payments for the current tax year if:

- You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits.

-You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of:
o 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or
o 100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return.

For head of household filing status, do I have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?

No, not if the qualifying child is unmarried and is your child, grandchild, stepchild or adopted child.

I made a mistake but I already filed, what should I do?
You can use Form 1040X to amend your U.S Tax Return if necessary. If you made a math mistake or left out a form, forget it. The IRS will correct these small errors for

My child is a full-time college student. If I claim them as a dependent, can they claim THEMSELVES as dependents when they file their taxes?

No, your child cannot claim themselves on their returns if you claim them.

More Questions? Still have more questions about the IRS or Tax Debt Issues? Feel free to send me an E-mail. I'm busy these at the office days, but I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can.