Made a Mistake on Your Return? It's Not Too Late to File an Amended Tax Return

Made a Mistake? You filed your taxes by the deadline, but you rushed to get there. Now you’re worried about the mistakes you made that you didn’t have time to correct. Don't fret, it’s not too late to go back. You can make any changes or adjustments with an Amended Tax Return.

Reasons to Amend Your Return

-Reported the wrong filing status: You cannot change your Filing Status to Married Filing Single if you already filed jointly with your spouse.

-Reported the wrong dependents: Many people get into trouble with the IRS by reporting dependents they don’t actually have.

-Total Income Incorrect: It’s a good idea to file an amended Tax Return if you reported your total income incorrectly.

-Unknown Credits or Deductions: You can file an amended Return if you didn’t take advantage of credits or deductions that you could have.

Mistakes the IRS will automatically correct
Don't file an Amended Return for the follow mistakes, the IRS should automatically correct these mistakes for you.

-Math Errors: The IRS will automatically fix math mistakes on your behalf

-Omitted a Form? The IRS will automatically request any missing forms (like missing W-2s) if they are needed

Forms You'll Need:

-1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
-1040X Instructions (details which service center to send the amended return to)

You can use this to correct a previously filed Form 1040, Form 1040A, Form 1040EZ, Form 1040EZ-T, Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ.

Word of Caution: The instructions for Form 1040X warn that if you file a Form 1040x claiming a refund or credit for more than the allowable amount, you may be subject to a penalty of 20% of the amount that is determined to be excessive. Be careful when filing an amended return, and consult with a reputable professional if needed.