Deadline Approaches: Just a friendly reminder to get your head out the sand while you still can. You have a little less than a month left to file your taxes. Get with it and get your taxes filed today!
Top 5 Tax Filing Blunders:
Avoid these slip ups and keep out of trouble with the IRS.
1. Sign and Date Returns: Yes, scores of people manage to miss this step every year. Both spouses must sign a joint return. If you don't sign you haven't filed.
2. Report all Income: Tips, under-the-table income, unemployment, alimony, raises, all of this counts as income. If you don't report income you'll owe the IRS.
3. Wrong Filing Status: Don't file as Head of Household just because you feel like you're in charge at home. You have to meet the listed requirements for each filing status. Filing the wrong status will hurt your eligibility for tax credits.
4. Leaving out SSI: The IRS will reject credits and deductions if the social security numbers for dependents is incorrect. Double check SSI numbers.
5. IRS Forms: Double check and be sure you are using the right Tax Forms. The IRS Computer System goes through forms before a human being even touches one. When you use the wrong form your chances of being audited increases.
Schedule Time Schedule time to get your taxes out of the way while there's still time.If you're too intimidated to try it on your own, call a professional to help you. Just make sure they're done long before the deadline!