Filing Back Taxes: What to do if you Lost Imporant Tax Forms

Filing Back Taxes is a difficult process. If you have not filed for years, you probably lost important Tax Forms and documentation. But not to worry, a Form 4852 will get the job done.

What document needs to be filed?

IRS Form 4852 is a substitute tax form. It can be used as a substitution for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R.

When is it appropriate to file a Form 4852?

File this form, if you are missing Tax Files like your W-2. It can be used to report distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement, Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, or other related sources.

Substitute For Return
Form 4852 is not to be confused with a Substitute for Return. The IRS may file a Substitute for Return or SFR if you do not file your taxes on time. The IRS uses information returned to them from third parties in order to complete the form (and will not apply any appropriate deductions, credits, or the highest possible tax rate). The Tax Owed for a Return the IRS prepares is always much higher than one you would return on your own.

And Remember: If you are having trouble gathering additional Tax Documentation that is needed for completing your Tax Returns, consider working with a Tax Professional. It’s very important to file your returns in a timely manner if you want to avoid trouble with the IRS.