911 for Taxpayer Help!

Not your Fault: Owe the IRS through no fault of your own? Is the IRS pushing to collect when you don't have a cent to pay them with? Depending on how much you owe, there's a simple solution for getting the IRS off your back when you can't pay. Form 911 (Like Dialing 9-1-1, Coincidence?)is a formal Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance.

You can use the form if any of the following applies to you:

1. You are in a desperate economic situation, or you're soon to be in one.

2. The IRS is threatening to collect by force when you have no assets or income to pay with.

3. You'll face significant costs if relief is not granted

4. You will suffer irreparable injury or long-term adverse impact if relief is not granted.

5. You have experienced a delay of 30+ days to resolve a tax issue.

6. You have not received a response or resolution to your problem or inquiry by the date promised.

7. A system or procedure has either failed to operate as intended, or failed to resolve your problem or dispute within the IRS.

This is an excellent idea if you owe the IRS an amount less than say, $9,000. The Taxpayer Advocate service will generally request that certain activities but stopped while your request for service is pending. If your owe $10,000 or more, you might need to whip out the big guns and get bigger badder tax help. But overall, the Taxpayer's Advocate is your friend and will help you find a resolution when your Revenue Officer won't cooperate.