IRS Tax Filing: Your Questions Answered!

An IRS-Hitman Special: Tax time is around the corner. This is that special time of the year when my inbox get flooded with questions from worried taxpayers all across the Nation. It's time to give the people what they want, answers to their IRS Tax Filing questions!

What are the legal qualifications for filing jointly?

There's only one. The couple has to be legally married as of December 31 of that year.

Are any special return notations required when your are filing jointly, but your spouse is deceased?
Yes, there's a particular area of the paperwork you need to take note of. In the signature area write in "Filing as Surviving Spouse." The final return needs to have the word "Deceased," the decedent's name, and the date of death written across the top of the return. You may also be able to file as a Qualifying Widow(er), if you have dependents and have not re-married.

What deductions can I safely take?
In the end, it's your decision. But ask yourself the following questions: Do you like taking risks that would make you pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars in fines? If you wouldn't rob a bank, don't rob the IRS. Those consequences I listed are the realities of getting too bold with your Tax Filing. It's best to get a professionals' opinion on this matter.

I haven't filed my taxes for a couple of years and the IRS says I owe them money. Do I have to file my missing years before the IRS will work with me on my debt?
Yes, you do have to file any Tax Returns from past years before the IRS will work with you. The plus side is that you only have to file missing returns for the last 7 years. And if you file your returns you may see your Tax Debt reduced.

Still Lost? Still have a tax question you need answered desperately? Don't worry, I'll be back next week to answer more of your questions. Until then, I hope everyone has a safe weekend!